Monday, March 4, 2013

Panparaag Pichkoo on the streets!


An irritating experience that I had today on the streets. A first hand experience on how the city is being dirtied. I was just peacefully walking on the street lost in thought, on how to solve a problem in a code I was writing. About two steps ahead in the direction I was walking, was an old man dressed in clear white shirt, golden frame galsses. Standing with his back to me. Lost deep in the thought, little did I realize what was about to come my way. While I was right behind him, he turned around, sightlessly let out a chuck from his mouth that was filled with Panparaag, or whatever he was chewing. The trash came out of his mouth and directly landed on my shoulder. Making a clear red mark on my green Levis tee shirt, that I had bought to wear in my wedding.
                I could feel bubble popping out in my blood & my heart said to smash the man in his face & break his nose. I could feel hot breath under my nose. It wasn’t just my most valued t-shirt that was running in my mind. This fellow has been spitting all over the city all the while long. He was the reason for many of us to walk with nose closed, he was one of the reasons for us to walk doing long jumps on the road, he was one of the reason for people saying ‘Bangalore is dirty’.
                He instantly apologized & offered to clean my t-shirt. He took out his clear white napkin and came towards me. That instant I decided not to punch him in the face & rather give him a harder blow. I asked ‘you can clean my shirt, but who will clean the city’? His eyes went wide, he looked baffled by what I asked. The street was crowded with many people walking, we were being noticed. I continued, you can clean up my shirt but what about all the dirt you have been spitting on the street until now? ‘You want to look clean & are wearing a clean white shirt & even have a clean white napkin in your pocket, but what about the city you live in?’ He realized where this was going, his surprised face turned apologetic & he stepped towards me again with the napkin in his hand & mouth still full with the crap. I stepped back, ‘No, I don’t want you to clean my shirt. I will do it myself. I want you to clean the city, will you? You look like a well educated man, speak such good English. Will you do the same in your house? Will you spit on the floor in your house? Or atleast in your balcony? Isnt this our city, isn’t it our responsibility to keep it clean’ Now we had people walking around stop by & staring at us & giggling. I wanted to cushion it off, ‘You look much elder to me, you have seen more of life than I have, I shouldn’t be saying this to you, you must be teaching people from our generation’. He was getting more n more embarrassed & I was feeling more and more happier within. With his mouth still 3/4th full he stepped closer to me again apologizing & wanting to clean it off my shirt. But I wasn’t done yet, the icing was still left. I said ‘No I dont wantyou to clean it.If you are really sorry I want you to do something else for me! ’ His eyes widened, he probably was expecting that I will ask him to pay me or something. Without really giving much time I continued, ‘Atleast now that you have realized how bad things can be, I want you to promise me that you wont spit on the roads again. Its our city, we have to keep it clean. Not dirty it ourselves & blame the government that the city is not clean. Let us be more responsible ’ The ride was coming to an end & I had to sandwich in a more softer format, so it was time for we! I had become a hero in the by standing crowd & him the villain ;). He now bore a wide smile on his face, looking at me as if I had just eaten him raw & put him out. Then I stood close showing my shoulder to him. With smile taking an even bigger turn he stepped closer & cleaned off my shirt. I patiently waited until he was done completely  cleaning off my shirt and then as a closing note, looked around and asked him ‘Is there a shop nearby where I can buy a new shirt’ and without waiting for his reply walked away saying ‘That’s okay, let me find it’.    Behind me I could feel the man climbing up from a thousand feet he had sunk into.
                I once again, with no making fun intention, ask everyone to be more responsible. This is the city we live in, eat in, sleep in. Lets not dirty it guys. This is our bigger home & so it is for a 1 crore more people.             

2 comments: